We were fed up with the choice of Easter products to give as a gift so the kids decided it would be much nicer to take a more personal approach and asked it they could bake some biscuits and then decorate them for Easter gifts to family.
Rich Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 175g (6 oz) butter, unsalted and diced
- 115g (4oz) caster sugar (superfine)
- Finely grated rind of one lemon
- 2 egg yolks, beaten
- 225g (8oz) plain flour
- 50g (2oz) chocolate chips
- 2 bars of good chocolate to decorate
- Decorations of your choice 🙂
- Preheat the oven to 180 C (350 F) Gas 4
- Cream butter and sugar and lemon rind together until pale, light and fluffy. Add the beaten egg yolks, then stir in the flour and chocolate chips to make a firm dough. If it is a little soft (which ours was) chill it in the fridge until firm.
- Roll the dough on baking parchment to just under 5mm (1/4″) in thickness. Using a 9cm (3.5″) fluted cutter, stamp out rounds, and place, spaced slightly apart on non stick baking sheets.
- Bake the cookies for about 12 minutes, or until golden.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool on the baking sheets (as they will crumble if you try and take them off!)
- Melt the good chocolate over a bowl of water until it is nice and smooth and then carefully spoon it over the cookie tops.
- Whilst the chocolate is still warm put any decorations on top. We used chocolate mini eggs, chocolate buttons, sprinkles and mini smarties.
- Finally leave the chocolate to cool and set again, then enjoy.
LIVE, LAUGH, LOVE – enjoying and recording the everyday moments of life.