Well it is Saturday, so it is time for our weekly baking share. This time the kids decided that they should be chocolate ones, with of course even more chocolate on top!
Gooey Chocolate Cupcakes
- 150g dark chocolate, chopped
- 200g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 200g caster sugar
- 4 eggs
- 50g blanched hazelnuts, ground
- 200g self raising flour
- 200g chocolate and hazelnut spread (nutella)
- Preheat the oven to 180 C (350 F) Gas 4
- Put the chocolate in a heat proof bowl, set over a pan on gently simmering water. Do not let the bowl touch the water. Leave until almost melted. Remove from the heat and leave to cool.
- Beat the butter and sugar together in a bowl until pale and fluffy, then beat in the eggs one at a time. Stir in the hazelnuts, then sift the flour into the mixture and fold in. Stir in the melted chocolate.
- Drop 1/2 heaped tablespoon of the mixture into each paper-case, then flatten and add an indentation into the centre using the back of a teaspoon. Drop a generous dollop of chocolate spread into the centre of each one, then divide the remaining cake mixture between each cupcake, placing it on top.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for about 18 minutes until risen and the top springs back when gently pressed.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- To decorate make some butter icing 85g butter, whisked until pale and fluffy, then gradually beat in 170g of icing sugar. Finally add a few drops of vanilla extract and beat in.
- Top the cold cupcakes with a small quantity of the icing and decorate with chocolate buttons, hazelnuts or your own choice of topping
LIVE, LAUGH, LOVE – enjoying and recording the everyday moments of life.